Thursday, January 9, 2014

Music Thursday - Battle of the Singers 1: Killswitch Engage's Howard vs. Jesse!

So a little something different today, this will be the first in a series of battles.  A good old-fashioned battle of the frontmen/singers. I want to point out that this is meant to be more of a compare and contrast article.  Yet does include my opinion. It is based on vocal ability and how they added flavor musically to songs. I know there are die hard fans on either side so keep in mind that you can weight in on the vote, keep it respectful though.



Ahhh the always entertaining band Killswitch Engage.  Most of you who listen to Rock/Metal know who they are therefore I don't need to go into details on that.  Ok so my fellow music lovers and musicians who do you think is better and why??  Tricky one isn't it.

For me it is like dealing with an entirely different band with each singer.  I think the band has really tried to create music differently for each vocalist.  They have such completely different vocal approaches, ranges, and strengths that the entire body of work from each is different.

I will admit I was a Howard person all the way and was sad to hear of his leaving the band.  I was so not impressed with the choice to go back to the guy they had before, sorry just was not a fan of his voice before. I understand that it was the logical choice however.

I now have been listening to their newer single "Always" and have to say it really grew on me as well as a few other songs from the newest album.  So much so that  I find it actually compliments Jesse's more melodic vocals. I think that with Howard being so strong and powerful the band had more freedom musically by not having to tone themselves down to not overshadow Jesse. Yet for the newer album and additional production on Jesse's voice and the build up of vocal layers they were able to create some freedom they hadn't had with him previously. I do appreciate his melodic flow and the way he has the ability to give songs an ethereal quality that gives you a mellow feeling why still listening to a heavy song.

Because it sounds like a completely different band to me with each singer I had to put the "This doesn't sound like the Killswitch I like and want to hear" out of my brain and just listen to the new music for what it is regardless of who created it. I love the lyrics and understated sounds I'm hearing. Better musically than the old Jesse days I think. Hey but becoming hugely famous with many more years of experience and more money and better gear will have the effect. But I do want to point out that to get that vocal sounds on the new album there are a tone of layers going on to pump up his voice more than previously. He just isn't as powerful as Howard nor does he have that presence. By no means am I saying Jesse is a bad vocalist, but honestly he is not as diverse or as strong as other singers especially live. But Jesse I think you have now earned my high five on the album....

Still going to miss Howard singing for this band though. :( Wow what a voice!

Check out Killswitch Engage's video for Always - Warning: might make you cry!


And for the good ole days..check out their cover of Holy Diver..Still one of the best covers and video's ever!! Still cracks me up every time.


I encourage you to search and listen to live performances of each singer to make a well rounded judgment. Hence why I also feel Howard is stronger on that aspect.

So guys and gals what are your thoughts?
Who is the winner of this battle in your eyes?

Future battles to follow:
Van Halen    - David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hager
Nightwish     - TarjaTurunen vs. Anette Olszon vs. Floor Jansen
Journey        - Steve Perry vs. Arnel Pineda

No comments:

Post a Comment